Friday, November 27, 2015

An Exciting New Challenge

My Introduction to the Fort Plain Mosaic Project

In June of this year, I was contacted by Harry Hoag Elementary School in Fort Plain NY, to work with the fourth grade student on a grant project. The students were to select historical sites from the area and work with me to create a design that would become the groundwork for a mosaic that will be on display in their school. 
On my first visit to the school, I worked with students on choosing historical landmarks for the mosaic and teaching them about mosaic. Most of the children did not even know what a mosaic was. After showing the kids some mosaic pieces, a slideshow where they could see different styles of mosaic, and demonstrations on how to create a mosaic, the kids were bubbling with enthusiasm!!
I went home with a list and photos of some historical landmarks in Fort Plain, that the children thought were important and with their suggestions, I created a design that would make their vision come to life.


Sketch for the Fort Plain Historical Mosaic
Covered Bridge, Bridge over Mohawk River, Fountain at Center of Town,
The Public Library



No comments:

Post a Comment